Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Changes at ESPN 700

   So, this afternoon, I was working out and listening to the Bill Riley show on ESPN 700 here in Salt Lake.  I had been listening for quite some time, when an ad caught my attention.  It just mentioned that on April 25, ESPN 700 would be welcoming a "Utah radio legend" to its lineup.  No other details were given. 

    Being a sports radio junkie, I tweeted @espn700bill to confirm what I had heard.  He responded with "yes". 

    I then presented this to my twitter followers and asked for guesses as to who this might be.  Here are some of the their responses.

    The first response I got was from @jdartute, who (thankfully) admitted that it was not him and guessed Brad Rock.  I have listened to Brad Rock fill in from time to time on 1280 the Zone.  Brad is my favorite local columnist and I think he always does well on the Zone.  Could it be him? He isn't exactly a "radio legend", but its as good a guess as any. 

     My personal guess (first one at least, ha ha) was Tom Barberi.  Tom has been with KALL in the past and frankly on the radio forever.  (His daughter, if I am not mistaken, does "radio from hell on X96).  My good friend @nate5107 voiced his opinion that he would not be a fan of that move.  I am with you Nate!  Tom, though he could be considered a "legend" is past his prime and I can't imagine ESPN 700 bringing him back.  (Hey idiot, you just slammed your own guess!)

     @davidwilbur was next in with his hope that it would be Steve Klauke, aka @slbeesradio.  I have always enjoyed Steve.  He could be considered a legend.  But coming to ESPN 700 would mean he has to give up being the voice of the Bees (I think, they are competing stations).  I have no idea if Steve is thinking of hanging that up or not, but it very well could be him.

     One of my favorite byu fans, @bhein3 suggested that it might be the guy "who was on 1320 who has been on ESPN national radio for a while".  My first thought was that this was Ian Furness.  I googled him, and it looks like he is in Seattle.   Can anyone help me on this?  This sounds familiar, but I just can't think of the name. 

     @davidwilbur also suggested former 1280 the Zone personalities Jim Fuchuck and Kevin Graham.  Fuchuck was fired and Graham left for a gig in Arizona.  Graham now runs the website Sports Mashup.  Fuchuck is still hanging around the market, or so I have been told.  Both would be nice additions.  Fuchuck is the only one I have heard who can have a competent conversation about professional baseball here in town. 

     @UtahProgressive weighed in by saying he had a feeling it might be David Locke.  This thought had crossed my mind too.  He and Wilbur went on to have a back and forth about how Locke "blows".  (If there is a more accurate description, Id like to find it).  Locke is a Jazz homer, and ESPN 700 is the middle ground in Utah.  (1320 is far too nice to the Jazz, 1280 is too harsh, ESPN 700 gives you the middle ground.)   I fear Locke coming over would tip the scale too far in the Pro-jazz direction.  At the same time, maybe getting away from KFAN would let Locke tell us how he really feels.  The guy works hard, but he is a jerk at times to callers.  Would he be willing to give up being the "Voice of the Jazz"?

    Wilbur and @hatufan came in asking about the logistics of this move.  Is the new person joining Bill Riley as a co host?  Are they getting rid of a syndicated show "Mike and Mike", "The Herd", or "The Dan Patrick Show" to have another local one? Or, and this made me nervous, are they bringing someone in new to replace Bill Riley? 

     I had thought about the replacement thing recently.  In the past, these things usually work out such that if a host is leaving, he leaves before a replacement is named.  So, if Bill was to leave, @espn700jimmer would probably take over his show until a permanent replacement was found.  Additionally, Bill has it good here.  He is the voice of the Utes and RSL.  I think he is staying for the forseeable future. 

     @Ublender44 suggested that the voice of Weber State, Carl Arky would be the man.  Carl does a nice job when he is asked to fill in on the various stations.  I like this option.  

      Here is my opinion:  I think that ESPN is putting pressure on ESPN 700 to drop the Non-ESPN Dan Patrick.  Dan Patrick gets pretty good ratings, but he does come from a competitor (not to mention his FORMER role at ESPN).  Anyway, if Dan is dropped, ESPN 700 would be looking to fill that with a local show.  I think Bill stays.  What is my opinion based on? Nothing.  If I have to pick, I would guess that they are going to go with an out of towner returning.  Someone like Ryan Hatch or Furness perhaps. 

    Stay tuned on April 25 for that big announcement!

    Final Thought: I wouldn't go to the track and bet your lifesaving on Greg Wrubell.....just saying. 

3 comments:

  1. Adding douche from KSL to co-host with Bill would just be glorified Red and Blue Show, I hope they don't go with him. As for Dropping the DP Show they better not do it, he is on quite a few ESPN affiliates thru the nation, if they do drop him maybe 1230 will pick him up and hopefully run his show live. And one more note, I'm sure none of my picks will be it, it's just wishful thinking. Thanks for the mentions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just so you know, ESPN Radio affiliates cannot drop Mike and Mike. It's a condition of having the affiliation, and I know of one station that lost its ESPN Radio affiliation because it didn't want to move its local morning show.

    As long as this policy is in place (and since it made M&M the most-listened to sports talk show in the country), it's safe to say ESPN 700 will NEVER have a local morning-drive show. Everything else is fair game, but M&M is the one untouchable in ESPN 700's syndicated lineup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's interesting to come back and read this. Now I've got to know who it was. This was before KFAN changed the whole landscape of SLC sports radio right?

    ReplyDelete