Thursday, December 16, 2010

Walking a mile in their shoes.....


So much of what my wife and I do these days is centered on the arrival of our baby. We are so excited for him! I got to feel him kick a couple weeks ago and it was so awesome! I can’t wait until he is here!

Another aspect is making sure that we are prepared for his arrival. His crib is up, his changing table is ready to go and the rocking chair works perfectly. After some trouble setting up, we got the stroller ready.

As we looked at getting ready for the medical bills, we looked around at things we could do additionally, to make sure that we are ok financially. Fortunately, in addition to my full-time job, I am able to continually write for the Davis County Clipper and also tutor athletes at the U. of U.

In looking for some additional things to do, we looked to see if there was any tutoring jobs open. So we looked in the newspaper. There was a position advertised that claimed to pay $50 an hour, three times a week. We were skeptical, but since it was in the newspaper, we figured it wasn’t a scam. $50 an hour is not likely, but it’s not completely out there either. So I emailed them with very little info, just trying to get more info.

A couple of weeks later, I received this email:


Hi,
Thanks for your interest in the tutor job. My name is Edward Ashley. Me and my family are relocating from England to the US this month, my 12 Yrs old Son (Wayne) my only family would be coming with me to continue his studies in the state, i would like you to help him in this follows subjects, Mathematics, English writing and essay, Science and reading tutorial. He is a 5th grader, very brilliant, sharp and smart little Boy. You are expect to tutor him 1hr per day, and 3 times per week, that is you are having to work with him for 3hrs total a week, the tutoring can take place in our house, your house or any nearest library(Morning or Afternoon) As we are moving to your locality but we have not reached final agreement with the landlord of the house so i would let you know on our address as time goes. My Son would be the first to be in the state because i have to clear all my business transactions and i would join him later in January. I got a good and responsible nanny that will take proper care of him and also to always drive him down to the location of the lesson.
I am offering $50 per hr, kindly let me know if this charge is okay for you or if any let me know, So i can be able to send you the payment and book your service prior to my Sons arrival in the state. I'll be sending you the payment inform of a check for the tutorials while I'll also pay the Nanny that will look after him in the state while i join him later on, so as soon as you get the money/funds cleared you'll deduct cost of tutoring for the month and send balance to the nanny that would be looking after my son in the state.
So please Kindly get back to me with the following:
1.Your charges per hour.
2.Total charges for first month that he will be taught one hour per
day-3 times a week.
3. Full Name:
Address:
City:
State:
Zip code:
Home phone number:
Cell phone number:
Age:
Will be waiting to read your mail soon.
Very Respectful
Edward Ashley
T: +44 703 188 9704


Is that it? Is that all you need? I mean, why don’t I fork over my social security number, my credit card number, my house key, my car key, my office key, my TV, my personal computer, my checking account number, my routing number, and a lifetime supply of Rice-a-Roni “the San Francisco treat!” while I’m at it?

I had a hard time telling that this was a scam. I mean yeah, the grammar is a little bad. And yes, it’s true that this person had never met me. What’s wrong with that? People get hired all the time for $50/hour jobs without meeting their boss, I can overlook that. Of course he also could not have been more vague about details, like what city he was moving to. And the fact that he wanted to cut me a big check right off the bat for nothing? Nah, no big deal, that’s legit……….

I finally realized it was a scam when I re-read the email and noticed that his son’s name was “Wayne”. Who the heck names their kid Wayne? That’s when I knew, something about this Edward Ashley is not quite kosher. Sorry Eddie-boy, but you can’t put anything past me!

I called the newspaper to report this, and they told me that several other people had reported the same result. Additionally, I went to google and typed in “Edward ashley scam” and the first link that popped up was to a message board where others were discussing this exact email, word for word, in different parts of the country.

The person at the newspaper indicated to me that the person who placed the ad had used a made up name and a made up address and phone number, in the area, and had not paid for his ad (shocking!)
These “people” are pond scum. They are literally vermin who somehow crawled out of the swamp. They pray on people who don’t know better and have ruined lives. If I was a prosecutor, I would seek a life sentence for convicted scammers.

You have to be careful with your personal info!

Moving on to my original thought, about preparing for a baby. It seems I look at news differently now and pay close attention to anything involving kids. I guess that’s why I was so excited to see Brian David Mitchell declared “guilty”, why I am so passionate about bringing the sub-human couple named “sloop” to justice quickly. These jerks would bother me no matter what, but I just can’t seem to let those things go, because they are crimes against children. With greater frequency, I am putting myself in parent’s shoes.

So, I read with great interest this article.

Before I give my opinion about this, let me know what you think in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment