Wednesday, November 2, 2011

National Unfriend Day


                National unfriend day is coming up again. 
                It’s that time when you go through your facebook list and delete those who you feel deserve to get the ax. 
                Everyone has their criteria for facebook friends.  I have a shared account with my wife, and it seems to work really well.  We purposely keep our friend list to people we actually know fairly well.  If someone “requests” to be our friend, and we don’t know them well, we just hit no thanks.  So honestly, we won’t have much to do on unfriend day. 
                The art of “unfriending” is interesting to me.  I love it when I look for someone because something that happened that reminded me of them and I want to see how they are doing.  I find that they have “unfriended” me.  For a second, you wonder what their problem is, then you get ticked off, and then you realize “this is just an online community, no need to get worked up over it!”
                We have been unfriended by at least one family member (that I am aware of), people who used to go to church with us, and others.  Heck, recently I had someone who I met while in Minnesota comment on something about my time there and then she unfriended us two days later.  
                I have done my share of unfriending.  When I had my own account, I would accept any friend request sent my way, even if it was from someone who I only marginally knew in high school or college.  I would have to periodically go through and clean out my list.  And then I would go right back to accepting everyone’s request. 
                In the last month, I have really changed how I approach facebook.  I realized that not everyone wants to hear my sports rants all the time.  So I don’t post them anymore.  If something big happens, I’ll comment, but I am not going to post about every game that interests me.  But it’s probably annoying to read about sports all the time. 
                Another option is to block people from your news feed.  This can be effective for people who like to troll, invite you to a million things, spam, push their political agenda, give you every detail of their lives, complain a lot, etc.  That way, you can check to see how they are doing, but your main page doesn’t have to be cluttered with their mess. 
                What are your thoughts on unfriending?  How do you go about it?  How many people do you plan on unfriending?  Tell us your stories!
Here are a couple of interesting links on the subject:  Time KSL

No comments:

Post a Comment