Saturday, January 7, 2012

Learning to Ignore the Drama Queens....

By BigBen


            Utah Jazz beat writer Brian T. Smith is a walking example of journalism gone bad.  Don’t get me wrong, he writes interesting things, no doubt about it.  And he works hard to cover the Jazz.  But there is something about the guy that rubs me the wrong way. 

            This past week, he stirred up some drama between Raja Bell and Ty Corbin that didn’t exist.  He was trying to drive up page views and blog hits.  I don’t fault him for trying to get more people to follow him, but give me a break.  To invent drama and then write a story about it goes beyond unprofessional.  Especially when you are throwing two people under the bus. 

            Fortunately, the vast majority of media members and fans saw right through his deception and laughed him off.  (The only one who took the bait seems to be fellow Trib writer Gordon Monson, which strikes me as odd, but I digress….)

            Another thing that rubs me the wrong way about “BTS” as he is “affectionately” known on Twitter, is that he doesn’t directly interact with fans on Twitter.  If you question something he says, he will send you a NASTY direct message, asking what your problem is and telling you to lose the attitude. 

            Compare this to Jody Genessy from the Deseret News.  Genessy interacts with everyone on Twitter.  He LOVES talking to Jazz fans.  And what is more, he is not out to make a name for himself by making up drama and trying to sell it as reality.  Heck, I called him an "idiot" once on Twitter, and he was VERY VERY nice in response.  Jody, if you are reading this, I'm sorry!

            This brings me to my main point.  With the way the sports world is now, there is no need for a BTS.  None.  Let me tell you why…..

            I am a passionate Jazz fan.  Have been for a long time.  I love keeping up to date with the latest comings and goings of the team.  Sometimes I have more time to devote to it than others, but I always try to stay current on what is happening. 

            About a year ago, I discovered a great site called slcdunk.com (Twitter handle: @slcdunk).  Basketball John is the main man there, and he does a great job each day of bringing analysis and news to the readers.  There is also a solid core of writers there who bring unique perspectives to the fans. 

            Also, I have discovered a lot of Jazz fans who provide very unique insights into the games.  Some of them, keep blogs and offer stats that, even as a numbers geek, I never even dreamed of.  I know I’ll leave someone out, but I have gained a lot from @Clintonite33, @jazzingitup, @SurlyMae, @dianaallen, @monilogue, @davidjsmith1232, @AllthatAmar, @Utesfan89, @yuccamanhoops, @shandonfan and many others. 

            And when I need to know what is happening inside the locker room, I turn to my man @DjJazzyJody (Genessy).  He will bring all the insights and locker room chatter to the fans without looking to start drama. 

            This can be applied for any team you follow.  There are great fans and beat writers to bring you insights and tidbits that you can’t get anywhere else.  In our world today, there is no need to pay attention to those, like BTS, who would run around anxiously during a flood telling everyone that they need a fire extinguisher. 

1 comment:

  1. I felt cool to be cited.

    And it's so fascinating that so much of the commentary, info, and thoughts we get today AREN'T from the traditional media. And DJJazzyJody FTW.

    ReplyDelete