Saturday, January 7, 2012

Looking back at the Lockout....a fan's perspective.

By Chris Bryant


NBA players are asked to do simple things, PLAY on an organized professional team and execute as hard as you possibly can. The ultimate goal is a trophy at years end crowing a world champion. This all sounds very familiar, as kids we played organized sports. We were put on teams and we PLAYED and executed as hard as we could towards that end goal either a victory or that glorious championship trophy at seasons end.

We never went to our league officials or presidents and begged for 50 percent of what they were making. The majority of all coaches were volunteers to teach children and young adults a GAME. I for one took many life lessons from my years of playing football, basketball, baseball, and golf. I have learned great discipline to respect my coaches and elders, and to show great sportsmanship towards the other team. I was not concerned while I was on the field or court about my Ferrari or Bentley parked in the parking lot. I also was not concerned about how I should act or PLAY on the court to show my team and others of my disinterest at the end of my multi-million dollar contract. Now I understand that the NBA has the worlds top basketball athletes and they are gifted for what they do. And I for one could not reach the level they PLAY at.

NBA team owners on draft day are looking to sign 19- 20 year olds to multi-million dollar contracts for a set amount of years. At 19 years old I was working at a local carpet cleaning business making 8.50 an hour and the excitement to make my overtime hours for extra bucks. Of course it’s a dream come true for all these kids entering the league. A majority of these players are brought up in tough situations and all they know is sports, never seeing a job or how to handle money. We can look at some of the worlds most sought after athletes and the poor decisions they have made with their millions of dollars. Most college athletes never finish their degree. They wind up getting their reward in cash and not the satisfaction of hard work in the classroom. College athletics makes it possible for students to earn scholarships for an education to progress further in life after graduation.

But with huge media outlets such as ESPN, they make it hard for young adults to say, “hey they have a really good educational program, and while I PLAY sports I can earn a full ride!” In recruiting processes it stands out more. ! A bigwig coach may say ,“We can get you on ESPN every week get you exposure so people like Mel Kiper can see your progress and rate your draft stock on his segment on ESPN!” Media outlets have tainted what college sports are about. Especially the biggest sports football and basketball. We even now have national high school football and basketball games on ESPN. C’mon really! Our high school was lucky enough to get pub on local sports shows in the evening.  Too much can be said on the money of sports and the people that PLAY them. When I plan my day at WORK I don’t say I cant wait to go and prep 35 pounds of carrots into a fine julienne cut, that is hard WORK! Plumbers don’t say I am going to PLAY with some wrenches and pipes today for my paycheck. Welders don’t go out and PLAY with their torches they WORK and build all day long.

If I could walk into any of these negotiation meetings to say anything it would be this. You all PLAY basketball for a living, your work consists of practicing free throws, jump shots, lay ups, dribble drills, and working out in the gym. Your owners provide you with stadiums full of fans paying your salary to perform the PLAYING of a sport. There are thousands of hard WORKING people waiting to get back to their jobs at where you PLAY! These people make nothing compared to what you do. They work so they can earn a paycheck to pay their mortgages, car payments, health care issues etc. Can you remember when you had no money? When your family was living paycheck to paycheck? So they could provide you with your tools to PLAY your best. Basketball camps, team fee’s etc. look upon your selves right now and focus on something else besides you! You PLAY they WORK so you can PLAY! I WORK in a field where the minimum I can get paid is 7.50 an hour you PLAY in a field where your minimum is over 400,000 dollars a year! We don’t need your sympathy from charity games we just need you to PLAY! 

No comments:

Post a Comment